Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Behold the Beauty in Mineral Make Up

Yes, I am sure that you have seen those infomercials at 3 am or during your mid-day Soaps binge about mineral make up changing your life. From Bare minerals, to Bare essentials, to whatever else there is... I think the concept is amazing, however I am not all about the hype. I have been trying out some mineral make up from Etsy for a few months now... and I'm impressed. For the most part, I have not found the super bright and vibrant colors I love to wear, but I have found a lot of multi-purpose colors that look great in multiple combination and are appropriate for my future career. (Oh yes... I recently received my official NYS teaching certificate!) Below are some of the companies I have purchased from and my evaluation...

Mixology Makeup
samples: $1.65 and up
shadows: $6 and up
Kits and other makeup goods available
S&H : very reasonable

The colors I selected were:
(in order from L to R)

Prospector, Embark, Hooligan, Conundrum, Rock Show, Oceanic

By far these shadows are as close as I have found to match the bright and highly pigmented shadows I like to use. These apply smoothly and last a long time. They do no crease, however when used with Urban Decay's Primer Potion these (and all the other minerals that I used) do crease after about an hour of wear.
These shimmer and the more neutral colors work well as all over shadows and highlights.
Overall, I strongly recommend Mixology Makeup if you want bright and sparkly shadows. This company also promotes giving back to the world.

Rating: 5 outta 5


Pink Quartz Minerals
Samples: $2.50 and up
Shadows: $5.95 and up
Other vegan and mineral makeup items available
S&H: Reasonable

Colors: (From L to R)
Wisteria, Copper Red

The Copper Red complimented my blue eyes very well. These applied smoothly but felt a bit grainy on my lids at the end of the day. The copper red also worked really well as a pigment to add into clear lip gloss for a very nice and sexy lip color. I did not try the wisteria, but I believe it would work just as well... if you were into purple lips... This brand is bit more expensive.

Overall, I would like to try more of Pink Quartz Mineral shadows because I think they are quality.

Rating: 4 outta 5


Korisma
Samples: 35 cents and up
Shadow: $3.52
Other mineral make up products available

Colors: (L to R)

Summer Peach, Outrageous Orange, Strawberry, Terracotta, Crush, Lemon








(L to R)

Wild Watermelon , Princess Purple


(L to R)
Cerulean, Fuzzy Peach






(L to R)
Screaming Green, Golden Rod



(L to R)
Pink, Tawny, Raisin, Barely There (Blushes)



I was really impressed with these shadows. Although they are not the super bright colors I love, these colors have helped me "mature" a bit in my makeup wearing. The shadows all went on smoothly, wore well, and did not crease when worn alone or blended with other shadows (such as Urban Decay & MAC). The blushes I received also were very smooth, however I am not a blush person. They worked great as shadows... in fact Tawny was my favorite "shadow" out of this bunch. I love the sheen it has and how it catches the light.

I also received foundations, which were kinda hard to photo, but I can say that having recently experienced a Bare Minerals make over.. they are literally the same quality and almost the same colors... just way cheaper. I found that I had to mix 3 and 4 to have the right match. I recommend if you are looking for your foundation, ask for some samples... then ask to have it mixed, if you figure out what works for you.

Overall, Korisma mineral makeup has made a very positive impression on me. I think she offers great products for great prices. She recently developed a primer, and I look froward to getting a hold of that soon and testing it out. I hope that it helps prevent the mineral makeup from creasing.

Rating: 5 outta 5


I have one more group of mineral make up to review but that will be for another day!

To conclude this blog I just want to say thank you to those people who have brought the greatness of mineral makeup to me and others. I have felt a different on my skin from using mineral makeup compared to my other makeup. I can tell you that if I do not wash it off at night (Yes it's a sin... I know) the mineral makeup does not irritate my eyes. I can wear it to bed and not wake up with red eyes!

If you haven't tried mineral makeup... get out and get some from one of these fabulous Etsy stores!

And oh... VEGAN too!!!

1 comment:

Nadya said...

What a fun exploration of mineral makeup! I also got a B E 'makeover' a couple of years ago, & began searching on-line for options.

I ordered from CMH Essentials, got her sample sizes (1.98) & have found them quite comperable to BE, much less $$, & very long lasting!
The sample sizes are just right for eyes - Chameleon sparkle is a delight! I'm still working on getting my foundation blend just right, & need to order a larger size 'veil.' She also has monthly specials :)
I'm going to check out the Etsy gals you mentioned - was just thinking it was time to order more :)