Friday, June 6, 2008

Daisy Cakes Soap Lychee Lip Balm


Daisy Cakes Soap Lip Balm in Lychee Fruit
Available through Etsy
$2.75 (+ $1.95 S&H)

[cocoa butter, candelilla wax, sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, vitamin e, flavor oil]

As you know I have a fondness for all things Asian. Lychee fruit is something one can find in Florida as well as on the West Coast, but not often where I live. I love the smell of Midohana's Lychee soap so I really wanted to invest in some solid Lychee lip love.

This balm comes in a very plain and simple tube. Not too bad, but it is rather lack luster.

When you first take off the cap you get this super sweet scent of lychee. Lychee is sweet, but this is overpowering. I hoped that when applied the scent dispersed. The scent mingled with the cocoa butter creating this extremely unpleasant smell and even more, a terrible taste occurred.

The glide of this balm is very nice. It is solid at room temperature (up to about 68) but anything else it seems to get soft. I left it out on my desk, next to a window. The light coming in from my window and I guess the combination of the heat as I went to put this balm on prior to my review, it smooshed all over my lips. Uncool and super soft.

However, in normal lip balm conditions, this holds up well. The glide is lovely. Solid, but not wax-hard. It does not create an uncomfortable coating on your lips, rather leaves a nice smooth glistening sheen, that really feels like it is moisturizing.

It lasts about two to three hours. It does not stay on while eating or drinking, yet after eating a few pretzel rods, my lips still felt supplely soft.

Overall, this is not a great high heat balm, meaning it is not meant for the summer. Secondly, this is a dismal flavor. DISMAL. The scent is far to sweet to be accurate to the real deal and then the cocoa mixes poorly with the flavor. When will people understand it is easier to mix mango or shea butter with fruit flavors than it is to do so with cocoa butter?? The sad thing is that this could be a great vegan lip balm.... but only so in the winter, early spring or late fall. Add some carnuba!!!!

Rating: 1 outta 5

(Should have gotten a different flavor during a different season)

{Stock photo of lip balm}

No comments: